Sunday, April 27, 2014

“Clean” Blueberry Bran Muffins


I like to keep a nice hearty muffin in the freezer that I can grab in the morning after nursing Carter. The past couple of weeks I have been getting these horrible headaches, so I decided I would cut out sugar and see if that was the culprit. (Its going to be a hard habit to break, I think I'm pretty addicted to sugar!) This is my take on a clean blueberry muffin. Sweetened with honey and coconut oil instead of butter. I love the subtly of the coconut mixed with the berries and bran. These muffins will provide a healthy kick start to your morning! I hope you enjoy these as much as we did! 


2 eggs
1 cup milk                                                                                                        
1/2 cup greek yogurt                                                                              
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted                                                                
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup honey
2 cups Bran Cereal                                                                                 
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Whisk together the eggs, milk, yogurt, coconut oil, salt, baking soda, vanilla extract, and honey. Stir in the bran cereal and both flours and mix well until thoroughly combined. Carefully fold in the blueberries.
Fill 24 muffin tins with batter. Bake for 25 minutes or until the tops are firm and slightly brown. 

Adapted from:The Kitchn

No comments:

Post a Comment