A good diet promotes higher energy levels.. and I'll need all the energy I can get to run 13.1 freaking miles!! High protein and fiber enables a longer lasting (slow release) energy. I am trying to be very conscious of my eating, so I can reach my goal of 13.1 miles! Don't get me wrong it's hard... brownies & pizza are my down fall, but it will be so worth it when I reach the Finish line!!
Things to incorporate in your runner's diet:
- Whole Grains: They digest slower than simple carbs (white flour ad sugar). Provides valuable amounts of nutrients and fiber enabling a longer lasting, stable energy.
- Starchy Vegetables: Energy enhancers
- Don't forget your greens! I try to incorporate spinach into 3 meals a day!! It is packed full of nutrients and protein... (remember, Popeye?!)
- Lean protein: Enhances brain function and balances blood sugar. Enhances and stabilizes energy. I try to consume 20 grams of protein 3 times a day. Eating this much of lean protein per meal (one chicken breat) fills (& fuels) me up, so I don't binge on sweets between meals.
- Legumes: Fiber!! Fills you up and helps you digest everything better!
- WATER: 6-10 8oz glasses a day!! This is key!!